Our operations - Rheem
We have an active long-term sustainability program aimed at improving the environmental performance of all our business activities. The program focuses on reducing:
- greenhouse gas emissions
- energy and water consumption
- waste generation.
The program has resulted in significant improvements. For example in the 12 months to June 2011, water saving initiatives reduced water use at our Sydney headquarters and factory by 29%; an annual saving of 5.8 megalitres. We also reduced our energy use by 8% over the same period. These strong results follow a long term trend – we’ve reduced water use by 75% and electricity use by 21% over the past 10 years.
These improvements have been achieved through a range of initiatives, including:
- rainwater harvesting systems
- recycling of discharge water from water heater testing processes
- energy efficient lighting
- automatic timer controls and variable speed drive controls on manufacturing equipment
- a major expansion of an automatic water and electricity usage monitoring system
- continuously increasing the awareness and engagement of our employees.